Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Small Park Lots of Birds

I went to a park that was recommended by a bird watcher I met a few days ago. The park was located just up the road from my grandma's house in Saskatoon.  She said that birds you would see were Blue-headed vireos and Wilson's warblers. When I arrived at this park one first look and I thought for sure that this lady had pulled a fast one and sent me to the worst place in the whole of Saskatchewan to bird watch.  I was wrong! Right when I was about to leave to go home, I heard the call of a Wilson's warbler. I found the Wilson's and then I started to scan for movement. There was a flash of grey and blue - it was a pigeon. After locating the commoners of the bird world I started looking for a Blue-headed vireo. After a half an hour of seeing the same Eastern kingbird I started to lose enthusiasm. Finally I gave up, I started to trudge out of the park in my wet and cold feet (I was wearing sandals). A dog walker came in and her dog started yapping at something. Then a little bird flew out of a Chokecherry bush to a crabapple tree. Thinking it was a Warbler or a finch I checked it out. It was a Blue-headed vireo! So, a humble, small park can mean lots of birds. The complete list is as follows:
Black-capped chickadee
Palm warbler
Yellow warbler
Grey catbird
Wilson's warbler
Eastern kingbird
Blue jay
Rock dove
Black-billed magpie
House sparrow
Blue-headed vireo

2 comments:

  1. What are the birds that you see the most in your backyard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds that I see in my backyard are: Juncos, Chickadees, Goldfinches, Rock doves, Common grackles, Blue jays, Both species of waxwings, Song sparrows and White throated sparrows in the spring and fall, American robins. In finch years I have gotten Common redpoles, Purple finches and Pine siskins.

      Delete