Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

E-BIRD

I've been finally convinced to join E-BIRD. After checking out their website I came to the conclusion  that this is a very interesting program. What I really like about it is that you can check out all the data that has been accumulated over many years. I learned that an Ivory-billed Woodpecker was reported in Oregon; whoever let that one pass must be pretty gullible! But, some things were a bit more believable. The invasive Eurasian-collard Dove can now be seen in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. If you look at data from 2006 and then 2014 you can see that they've been expanding on a northwestern pattern. The next Starling? These birds may be in Newfoundland soon. The recently discovered Omani Owl was known as E-bird's missing species due to the fact that after the discovery of the owl in the summer of 2014 no e-birder has found one yet. Then people started to submit data of rare and endangered species. With this information, and thanks to this, 93 new species were added to E-bird including the Omani Owl. The things you can learn about nomadic species is very cool. I looked at last year's data on the Snowy Owl and Newfoundland just looks like a blob of purple. As you can see then, I am ready to launch my first e-bird entry from the time I went to Mundy Pond.  

No comments:

Post a Comment